The She-Wolves of Winterfell
|The She-Wolves of Winterfell
|George R. R. Martin
|Tales of Dunk and Egg
|The Mystery Knight
|The Village Hero
The She-Wolves of Winterfell is the working title given to the as-yet unpublished fourth Tales of Dunk and Egg novella, once intended to be published in an anthology named Dangerous Women but now postponed. George R.R. Martin says he will not know more about when the story can be completed until he has finished The Winds of Winter.
The novella is set in Winterfell. It will feature Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg, who will meet the "She-Wolves": a group of formidable Stark wives, widows, mothers and grandmothers. Four may be widows of previous Lords of Winterfell, and one the current Lady Stark whose husband Beron Stark is dying from a wound taken while fighting Ironborn. There may be a House Stark succession crisis, a struggle for power among the ladies on behalf of their children.
The identity of the five "She-Wolves" has not been revealed yet. However, with the Stark lineage in The World of Ice and Fire their names can be deduced:
- Lady Lorra Royce, the soon to be widow of Lord Beron Stark.
- Lady Myriame Manderly, widow of Lord Rodwell Stark and Beron's sister-in-law.
- Lady Alys Karstark, widow of Lord Brandon Stark and Beron's mother.
- Lady Robyn Ryswell, widow of Lord Jonnel Stark and Beron's aunt by marriage.
- Lady Lynara Stark, widow of Lord Cregan Stark and Beron's grandmother.
Moreover, four Stark women—Arsa, Serena, and her daughters Arrana and Aregelle—might be engaged to various degrees into the power struggle following Beron's injury even though they did not marry a Lord of Winterfell.