- The prologue from A Game of Thrones takes place in 297AC.
297AC was a quiet year, but is marked by the first recorded activity of the Others in Westeros. This was further marked by rangers from the Night's Watch disappearing more and more. Further, 297AC saw the fortunes of Viserys Targaryen and his sister Daenerys going up, as magister Illyrio Mopatis took them in his care.
- Euron Greyjoy sleeps with his brother Victarion's salt wife and is exiled from the Iron Islands by his eldest brother, Lord Balon Greyjoy.
- The city of Meereen suffers from a plague and many slaves die.
- Daenerys Targaryen and her brother Viserys Targaryen are taken in by magister Illyrio Mopatis in Pentos.
- Ser Waymar Royce, slain by Others.
- Domeric Bolton, due to a "bad belly". It has been speculated by his father, Roose Bolton, that bastard half-brother Ramsay Snow poisoned Domeric.